When we think of fall, thoughts of brilliant colors, cooler weather, holidays, and cornucopias full of fresh harvest come to mind. You can almost smell the pumpkin candles on either side of the elaborate centerpiece. Harvesting vegetables in fall is a time-honored tradition, but what exactly are those vegetables that make divine additions to fall recipes?
Cool-weather vegetables are:
- Brussel sprouts
- Green Onions
With so many choices, your garden will be bursting with life and color this season, and your table is brimming with tasty goods. Vegetables that are grown in cool or colder weather benefit from sugars that attach to the plant tissues and enhance the flavor.
Planting for a fall harvest requires planting in blocks instead of rows as a best practice, so the plants are easily watered and provide each other sustainability. To have a successful harvest, there are a few tips that will help you have an excellent yield.
Tips To Plant For A Fall Harvest
- Start Timely - Make sure that you are planting your vegetables in August in order for them to be ripe for a fall harvest season.
- Know For How Long - Be familiar with how long each crop you plant needs to stay in the ground and the proper care.
- Have Enough Space - Since you are planting these crops in blocks, not rows, make sure that you have cleared out any summer harvest that remains to make room.
- Be Prepared To Keep Fall Crops - Fall crops thrive in cool weather and last longer.
- Have the right soil - make sure your soil is prepared for the load.
Fall harvests last longer, and there always seem to be plenty of vegetables left that you simply can’t eat. The beauty of fall harvesting is it is the season of giving. You may want to consider spreading some goodwill and creating harvest baskets to donate or provide as gifts.
When the chill sets in the air and the beauty of the season turns, your mouth will start watering with the plentiful garden that is about ready to harvest. It is an excellent time for sweet foods and family gatherings where your hard work is rewarded by seeing friends and family devour the goods of your freshly harvested fall garden.
Need tools, supplies, and tips for planting a fall/winter garden? The Soil King can help. Shop online now, or find a distributor near you to pick up our products and ensure a great harvest this season.