DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
Use as you would any other planting mix. For normal use no additional amending should be required. Big Rootz® is appropriate for use in pots, raised beds, and earthen holes. Big Rootz® may be used indoors, outdoors and in greenhouses.
Transplanting is the process of moving plants from small containers into larger pots, raised beds or the earth itself. Transplanting is best performed on overcast days, in the morning or evening. Avoid transplanting during the heat of the day!
- Select new container and fill it to around 90% capacity with Soil King Big Rootz®
- Dig out a hole that’s about the size of your old container
- Remove the plant from its old pot and inspect its rootz.
- Very root bound plants often benefit from having their roots loosened. This process involves removing some of the old compacted soil from around the rootz and then gently loosening and deforming the root ball. This is an advanced technique, performing this operation improperly can result in setbacks and loss of potential
- Place the plant in its new container, and bury the root ball. The plant should ride at the same level as it was in its old pot
- Firm soil around the plant by pressing gently with your hands. Water thoroughly, allowing the excess to drain out the bottom and add more soil if needed
This method works great for big transplanting jobs. Filled pots can be prepared in advance if necessary and stored until needed. Best used on plants that are not rootbound and do not require root loosening.
- Place an empty container that’s the same size as your transplant target into the new container. Note the difference in height and remove old container
- Fill new container just enough so that old pot is now elevated to an appropriate height
- Place new container into old container again
- Add soil around the edges until new container is filled
- Gently compact soil
- Carefully remove old pot, this should leave a clean hole exactly the size and shape of your rootball
- Remove old pot from plant, inspect roots, drop into hole in new pot
- Water thoroughly, allowing the excess to drain out the bottom and add more soil if needed
Big Rootz® will refresh old or aging soil and condition native soils by improving drainage, water retention and improving soil texture. Application rate depends greatly on existing soil conditions, call for recommendations.